Looking for things to do in Kuranda? Surrounded by World Heritage listed rainforest and well known across the world, here is a comprehensive list of all the activities and experiences you can enjoy in the ‘Village in the Rainforest.’
First things first
Kuranda is located a 35 minute drive outside of Cairns City, easily accessed via the Kuranda Range. The town itself only has 3,000 people; however, every year it is filled with tourists from across Australia and the world.
This village is famous for its eclectic and ‘hippie’ style vibe across the entire village as well as the markets which have been in operation for over 20 years.
Getting to Kuranda
There are three popular ways to get to Kuranda Village, and it is common to combine two of them. For those who want to, you can drive to the village. Kuranda is easily accessible via road and well signed. However, the most common way to visit is via Skyrail Rainforest Cableway and Kuranda Scenic Railway. Both options offer one-way and return tickets and take you between from Cairns to the Village, providing spectacular views and also tell the intriguing stories and history of the area.
How Long to Spend in Kuranda
This depends on how much you want to see; however a great starting guide is to spend 2 – 3 hours in Kuranda Village. In this time, you’ll be able to wander through the streets, shop the markets, have lunch and experience a few of the wildlife parks. For a full list of things to do, read on:
Things to do in Kuranda
1. Get your sweet fix at the Candy Kitchen.
2. Feed the birds at Birdworld.
3. Stop for a beer at the Kuranda Hotel (near Skyrail Rainforest Cableway and the railway station!).
4. Pick up a locally crafted souvenir at the Heritage Markets
5. And the Original Rainforest Markets.
6. Drive down to Barron Falls and take in the view, especially during full flood! While Barron River is well within walking distance from the village centre, Barron Falls is about a 6 minute drive. However, if you are visiting via Skyrail or the train, a stop at this waterfall is included in your experience. Suggested read: How to see Barron Falls in flood.
7. Wander through the streets and soak up the atmosphere. There are often street performers playing in the market place and along the main street.
8. Cuddle a koala at Kuranda Koala Gardens.
9. Have a round of mini-golf.
10. Take a selfie with a dinosaur (statue) at Emu Ridge Gallery.
11. Stare down mass murderer Jack the Ripper, a 5m salt water crocodile who has killed 12 of his girlfriends at Rainforestation.
12. Enjoy a bratwurst at German Tucker.
13. Wander along the Barron River waterfront.
14. Taste the crepes at Petit Cafe.
15. Feed a wallaby at Kuranda Koala Gardens.
16. Cruise along Barron River with Kuranda Riverboat.
17. Snap a pic at Kuranda Railway Station, known as the tropical version of Platform 9 and 3/4.
18. Admire the art at one of the many art galleries.
19. Explore the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary.
20. Buy an opal from Opal Time
This famous village is teaming of activities that will keep you entertained for a few hours. With everything (excluding Barron Falls lookout) within walking distance, enjoy your time wandering through ‘The Village in the Rainforest’
If you are interested in this you may also be interested in
- Discover the best family friendly activities in Cairns
- How to see Barron Falls in flood
- Why you need to experience the Kuranda Wildlife Experience
- Visiting the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary in Kuranda
- #TheAncientRainforest with Skyrail Rainforest Cableway on a rainy day
- Things to do near Mareeba: Your Cairns to Mareeba road trip must do’s
- 101 things to do in Cairns
- 4 places in the Daintree you must visit
- 10 date ideas in Cairns